One thing I love about our new house is that it has stained, solid-wood interior doors. The trim is painted a shade of white which is just great to me. About a year ago, I had pinned inspiration for my dream home – with dark-stained doors and painted trim! See my inspiration here, here, and here.
Our doors are not in pristine condition, but in no way need replacing. Over on House Tweaking, I read about her success using Howard’s Restor-A-Finish on some vintage furniture pieces. I picked a can up to try on a Craigslist table we recently put in the breakfast area, and thought I would see how it did on the doors. I have worked on two doors and the inside of the front door so far and I am really impressed. I used 0000 steel wool to work it into the wood and then wiped it down with a lint-free cloth. It almost makes dents and dings disappear (from view, not from touch) and gave a little life and shine back to the doors.
Here are a couple of before and after comparison shots:
We got to throw our first Memorial Day cookout in the new house yesterday. We had a few more people and quite a few more kids this year, but I felt like we had plenty of room. I set the food table up in the breakfast area and put the small table in the living room for extra seating. I had a lot of fun with the decorations this year. Behind the food table, I hung a cluster of paper fans (that I actually found on clearance after Christmas).
We did our standard low-country boil and Bradley added a few racks of ribs from the BGE this time.
At the entrance, I hung the wreath I’ve been working on for the past week. I found the tutorial for the wreath here and the felt flowers here. I also put our bocce ball set in a cute red metal basket from Target by the front door.
I used my red polka dot tablecloth on the foyer table, with a little lantern I had painted blue at the old house.
On the mantle I strung up some paper fireworks I made following this tutorial. This was probably my favorite project I worked on for this year’s party.
The exterior color scheme of our new house isn’t exactly exciting. The brick and siding are various shades of cream to brown and the hunter green shutter and door color kept everything quite drab. My sister’s suggestion when she looked at the house over Christmas with us was a red/navy combo. I took a couple of months to mull it over and decided I really like the idea, so I picked up color swatches.
Over the weekend, I sanded and painted the front door. I am really happy with the shade of red we chose. It is Burning Bush by Olympic that I had color-matched at Sherwin Williams. I haven’t gotten to the shutters yet – that will take more of a time commitment than the door, but I think I found the perfect navy for them – December Eve by Behr.
The before shots:
On average, once or twice a month I get to volunteer as green room host at our church. The job consists of setting out the food provided by whatever restaurant is catering that day, restocking the drink fridge and candy bowls, making coffee, and in general making sure that all of the musicians and production volunteers have what they need when they aren’t on stage. I enjoy trying out new recipes that I find from blogs through Pinterest on the 30+ people each time. It gives me a lot of feedback and I know whether or not to keep the recipe for future use. I thought I would share some of the recipes that have been the biggest hits – you may notice a pattern that most involve Oreos.
Oreo Pudding Cookies by The Girl Who Ate Everything
Cookies and Cream Rice Krispie Treats by Cooking Classy
Homemade Kit Kat Bars by Serious Eats
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Sandwiches by Two Peas and their Pod
Oreo Truffles by Kraft Recipes
Cookies ‘n Cream Puppy Chow by Whisk Away Your Worries
Cookies & Cream Bars by Willow Bird Baking
*I try to always link the pictures in my posts to the original source. If you
would like to link to any source, simply click on the picture in my posts. If
you would like to pin a linked picture, please pin from the original source *
In preparation for our first overnight guests at the end of the month, I am finally getting around to painting the guest bedroom. I chose this room as the guest room because it is on the back side of the house and is across the hall from the spare bathroom. The room had a circus tent mural on one wall and four elephants painted on the opposite wall. I started by sanding them down, then applied two coats of primer. I liked the paint color the previous owners had used in the main floor bedroom, so I found the old paint can in the basement and had it color-matched at Sherwin Williams. The inspiration color is Roaring Mountain by Ralph Lauren.
This room is bigger than either of the spare rooms at our first house and it has two windows, which provide nice natural light. I had one of these curtain panels at the old house and luckily Target was still carrying them by the time we moved and I was able to order a few more. It turns out that they are a little long in this room because of the large crown moulding. Even though I hung the curtain rod brackets flush to the bottom of the crown, the curtains still puddle a little.
This room is on the back side of the house, so anyone staying with us will have this nice private view from the window. Not a neighbor in site.
There are a few changes that I would like to make over time in this room:
Hang white roman shades behind the curtains (Summer 2014)
Install new curtain rods and finials (Summer 2014)
- Trade the full size mattress for a queen size
- There is enough room for a larger, more comfortable chair and maybe a little desk
- Add a ceiling fan (and scrape the popcorn texture from the ceiling)
- Replace one of the panes in the smaller window that has a crack
- Add a floor lamp to the corner with the chair
Here is how it looked when we moved in:
From the listing: